Human Hair vs Synthetic Hair
What is really the difference between HUMAN hair and SYNTHETIC hair? Trust me I've worn wigs of all colors lengths and textures. The answer to this question is rhetorical - I guess it just depends! Read on:
1. Styling Versatility. Many human hair wigs can be colored, permed and styled just like your own hair. Keep in mind that it is important to take your wig to a stylist who is experienced in dealing with human hair wigs if you wish to alter the style.
2. Texture. Human hair wigs come in a variety of textures, so you can match your own hair texture very closely.
3. Longevity. With proper care, human hair wigs can last a year or more when worn daily.
4. Natural Look. Human hair wigs feel great and can look incredibly natural.
1. High Maintenance. Just like real hair, human hair wigs need to be washed, deep-conditioned and re-styled frequently.
2. Cost. Because they are harvested from human hair, they are typically more expensive.
3. Color Variation. It is difficult to replicate an exact color when you replace a human hair wig or wish to purchase a back up of the same style. Human hair wigs of the same color will vary slightly from wig to wig because each wig contains hair harvested from multiple people.
4. Reacts to Weather. Like your own hair would, human hair wigs react to the weather and can become frizzy, limp or dry depending on the weather.
5. Color Fading. The color of a human hair wig will oxidize or fade with exposure to light.
6. Fragile. The hair will incur damage if subjected to harsh brushing, back-combing or overuse of heated styling tools.
7. Weight. Human hair wigs can feel heavier than synthetic wigs of a similar length and style.
8. Styling. Human hair wigs are more labor intensive and require more effort and skill to style.
1. Easy Care. Synthetic wigs are easy to take care of. Because synthetic wigs have something called “style retention,” they never have to be styled. You simply wash, dry and then shake them out, and the wig will return to its initial style.
2. Style-Memory. Synthetic wigs hold their style regardless of the weather.
3. Versatile. You can try out various colors and styles without the need to see a hair stylist by purchasing multiple synthetic wigs.
4. Large Color Selection. The sky is the limit where colors are concerned. You can choose from an array of natural colors, as well as several fantasy colors.
5. Cost. Synthetic wigs are relatively inexpensive.
6. Low Maintenance. They require very little maintenance. This is important to consider if you are experiencing health issues and not feeling well.
7. Natural Looking. If purchasing a high-quality synthetic wig, it is very difficult to tell the difference between a synthetic wig and one made from real human hair.
1. Shine. Some economy or budget synthetic wigs (typically those under $100) may have an unnatural shine. You can easily fix this by applying a little bit of baby powder to the wig.
2. Longevity. Synthetic wigs and toppers do not last as long as human hair wigs. They typically last about 4-6 months with daily wear.
3. Less Versatility. Synthetic wigs cannot be straightened or curled with heated styling tools unless it is a specifically designed "heat friendly" synthetic wig.
4. Cannot Change Color. Recoloring is not recommended for synthetic wigs and traditional hair color will not adhere to the fibers.